Monday 7 December 2009

Presentation done and dusted! now on with 4 months of work

Feedback from final pitching presentation
After a successful pitch of my final project for the creative media practice module I invited members of staff John Hayes and Alan Robinson, along with my peers to ask questions and give me constructive feedback. Below I have included questions and the number of observations made below.
- How would I deal with inconsistencies with rotoscoping? – Alan Robinson
From filming my own live action footage and rotoscoping over the actions, I am only taking the core outlines of the characters movement. I am using this outline to later fill in my own character details and tone when taking my selected rotoscoped footage into flash. The outline will be produced using a vector tool in paint shop pro 7 although Alan had presumed that was I using a drawing tablet. I believe by using a vector tool this will also iron out any inconsistency I may have had with a drawing tablet, as a vector outline will be far more accurate.

- Will rotoscoping take up too much time in the earlier stage of my project? John Hayes
As only 9 out of the 30 scenes of action required needs rotoscoping, I believe that this is realistically achievable as each sequence is on average 3 seconds long and at a rate of 24 frames per second this only leaves me with 216 key frames to rotoscope.

- Is there any rotoscoping software that will do all the work for you and save you the time of doing it yourself? John Hayes
From further research into rotoscoping software, the software used by Richard Linklater on ‘A Scanner Darkly’ is unavailable to the public. The process behind the software is that it uses interpolation to save time on the process. To my knowledge there is no other software that allows me to adopt this and therefore I will have to rotoscope each frame individually in paint shop pro. However, I still believe that the fluid motion created will really benefit the actions of my characters within my trailer and is achievable within the time constraints .

Being part of the audience for my other peers, Christopher Pass’ presentation on his idea of a game created in 3ds max inspired me with one technique that he was adopting. H e looked at how the game ‘Borderlands’ had used a fine black outline to give the appearance of something that had been had drawn. This is something that from his presentation was a style that I would like to incorporate into my piece. However, instead of using the fine black outline on everything, I would limit it to just the characters to bring their silhouettes out of the scene a little more and make them stand out. This is a very useful technique due to the fact that I am using such a limited palette. I had feared that the characters could blend too much into the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment